Community Programs and Sales Associate, Olive's Porch - Part-Time
The Community Programs and Sales Associate for Olive’s Porch is responsible for student inquiries, class registrations, and administrative tasks while working in a collaborative environment. The position requires the ability to manage a broad range of procedures needed to accommodate customer needs. The Associate must maintain a high level of customer service and attention to detail for all in-person, phone, or email constituent communications. The Community Programs and Sales Associate will report to the Community Programs Manager. This is a part-time (20 hours per week) and non-exempt hourly position. Weekend and holiday work are expected.
Olive’s Porch will be a new Folk School community gathering place in downtown Murphy. The location will include classroom space, a retail shop showcasing the work of Appalachian artists, and studio space dedicated to the Artist in Residence program. Named after the school’s co-founder Olive Dame Campbell, Olive’s Porch will present short workshops focused on traditional Appalachian crafts, music, dance, and community topics designed for locals and visitors. Throughout the year Olive’s Porch will host a variety of special events, discussions, demonstrations, artist markets, and other community events.
• Greet and orient students, instructors, customers, and visitors to Olive’s Porch
• Answer inquiries and provide information about Olive’s Porch and the Folk School
• Process retail sales and student registrations
• Answer phone calls
• Assist in assembling class information for students and instructors
• Provide clerical support where needed
• Must be available to work Saturday and Sunday
• Assist with events
• Perform daily reports and correspondence
• Maintain knowledge of inventory and programing
• Assist with cleaning and flipping of the studio between classes including:
-Equipment availability and setup
-Configuration of studio space
-Stocking of supplies and materials and providing additional resources as needed
• Perform a variety of cleaning and sanitization activities such as:
-Dusting furniture and fixtures
-Cleaning and sanitizing toilets, countertops, and sinks
-Washing windows, cleaning mirrors, and other glass surfaces
-Using cleaning equipment such as vacuums, mops, and other cleaning tools
-Emptying trash receptacles and disposing of waste
Education and Experience Requirements
• High School Diploma or equivalent preferred but not required
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• 1- 2 years experience in an office or retail environment
• Committed to a high level of customer service
Position Skills and Aptitudes
• Customer service skills
• The ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide
• The ability to process retail transactions, including cash and credit card transactions
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Patience when dealing with difficult customers
• Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Able to maintain a positive, empathetic, and professional attitude
• Ability to execute multiple tasks with organizational skills and detail orientation
• Passionate about traditional Appalachian crafts and community building
• Strong ties to the local area preferred
• Strong situational awareness and observation skills
The position requires that the employee be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The work of this position frequently requires the use of hands to handle or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects or boxes, up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will likely need to sit and work at a computer. Must be able to work weekends and holidays, as needed. This position requires fluency in English.
Please submit the following materials by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
John C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
1. An interest statement that details your experience and interest in the position.
2. Contact information for three references. At least one reference must be a professional reference.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
At the Folk School, the health and safety of our team is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to pass the pre-employment requirements. The Folk School complies with all federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.