The Development Coordinator assists with the successful facilitation of the school’s fundraising effort to support its programs, services, and capital needs and to secure its longevity. The position will report directly to the Development Director. This is a full-time, exempt salary, and benefits-eligible position. Hours include regular office hours Monday to Friday with occasional weekends and holidays.
John C. Campbell Folk School (“the Folk School”) was founded in Brasstown, North Carolina in 1925, as an experiment in progressive education. As of 2022, the Folk School offers over 850 week and weekend classes for adults each year in craft, music, and dance. The Folk School also hosts a full calendar of events, including an annual Fall Festival and weekly concerts and dances. Listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places, the 270-acre campus includes fifteen studios, fourteen student houses, a dining hall, a community house for student gatherings and events, and a History Center. The Craft Shop, a fine craft gallery, showcases a diverse selection of traditional and contemporary Appalachian craft. John C. Campbell Folk School operates as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with support from individuals, foundations, and other organizations.
• Establishes and maintains positive relationships with potential and existing donors
• Facilitates accurate gift recordings and gift acknowledgments using a CRM database
• Creates accurate constituent queries and reports using a CRM database
• Creates digital and print mailing lists using a CRM database
• Facilitates in-kind donations, including coordinating item receipt/distribution and gifts recording and acknowledgments
• Ensures ongoing gift revenue reconciliation with the Finance Department
• Facilitates annual charitable solicitation licensing in all applicable jurisdictions via contracted vendor
• Accurately maintains fundraising-related financial and legal records
• Provides departmental administrative support, including purchase orders facilitation and invoice payments, office organization, mail, print materials restocking, etc.
• Assists with producing special events including auctions, donor cultivation events, donor appreciation celebrations, and other internal and external events
Education and Experience Requirements
• Associate degree from an accredited college or university preferred
• Minimum 1 year of related experience preferred
• Proficiency with a constituent relationship management program or other database preferred; Raiser’s Edge preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office’s program suite
Position Skills and Aptitudes
• Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
• Extraordinary attention to detail and excellent time-management skills
• Self-motivated and able to work independently
• Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Ability to simultaneously conduct numerous projects
• Proven commitment and ability to meet strict deadlines
The position requires the employee to be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to speak clearly and effectively. Ability to work standing and lift up to 40 pounds. Must be able to work holidays and occasional weekends.
Please submit the following materials by e-mail to email@example.com, or by USPS to:
Human Resources Manager
John C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
1. Interest statement that details your relevant experience and knowledge/skills
3. Contact information for three references, two must be professional references
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
At the Folk School, the health and safety of our team is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to pass the pre-employment requirements. The Folk School complies with all federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.