The Development Manager reports to the Development Director and significantly contributes to the successful facilitation of all aspects of the school’s fundraising efforts to help fund its programs, services, and capital needs as well as its longevity. This is a full-time, exempt-salary, and benefits-eligible position.
John C. Campbell Folk School (“the Folk School”) was founded in Brasstown, North Carolina in 1925, as an experiment in progressive education. As of 2021, the Folk School offers over 850 week and weekend classes for adults each year in craft, music, and dance. The Folk School also hosts a full calendar of events, including an annual Fall Festival and weekly concerts and dances. Listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places, the 270-acre campus includes fifteen studios, fourteen student houses, a dining hall, a community house for student gatherings and events, and a History Center. The Craft Shop, a fine craft gallery, showcases a diverse selection of traditional and contemporary Appalachian craft. John C. Campbell Folk School operates as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with support from individuals, foundations, and other organizations.
• Establishes and maintains positive relationships with potential and existing donors
• Contributes to the creation and execution of the department’s annual operational plan including mass, individual, and corporate appeals; major gifts; estate gifts; grants; and special events
• Plans, promotes and executes special events including fundraising events, donor cultivation events, donor appreciation celebrations, community meetings, and other internal and external events
• Develops solicitation and communication materials (videos, newsletter, website, social media, etc.)
• Prepares grant research, applications, and reports
• Supports the Development Director with Board of Directors relations, including the Development Committee
• Provides support and serves as a back-up to the Development Coordinator in the facilitation of accurate gift recordings, gift acknowledgments, mailing lists, and reports using a CRM database, and charitable solicitation licensing
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, required
• Minimum of 3 years’ fundraising experience, 5 years preferred
• Proficiency with a constituent relationship management program; Raiser’s Edge preferred
• Proven advanced writing skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office’s program suite
Position Skills and Aptitudes
• Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
• Extraordinary attention to detail, well-honed time-management skills, and organizational prowess
• Self-motivated and able to work independently
• Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Ability to simultaneously conduct numerous projects
• Proven commitment and ability to meet strict deadlines
• Able to speak confidently to groups of various sizes
This position requires limited travel and the ability to drive a car. A current driver’s license is required. The position requires that the employee be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The work of this position frequently requires the use of hands to handle or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects or boxes, up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will stand and walk occasionally, and frequently sit and work at a computer for up to eight hours per day. Must be able to occasionally work weekends and holidays, as needed. This position requires fluency in English.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following materials by e-mail to email@example.com, or by USPS to:
John C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
1. Cover letter that details your experience and knowledge in development
2. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three professional references
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
At the Folk School, the health and safety of our team is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to pass the pre-employment requirements. The Folk School complies with all federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.