Craft Shop Manager
Position SummaryThe Craft Shop Manager reports to the Deputy Director and oversees a retail shop representing more than 300 craftspeople and featuring a collection of traditional and contemporary Appalachian craft, books, soft goods, and craft supplies. The ideal candidate should have substantial craft knowledge, retail sales experience, solid computer skills, and be self-motivated. The Manager will perform creative and business-related tasks to include inventory development, display, marketing, inventory control, staff development, financial oversite, and exceptional customer relations. This is a full-time, exempt salary and benefits eligible position.
Position Responsibilities• Oversee the daily operations of the Craft Shop.
• Assist in all aspects of business from opening to closing, cultivating and maintaining exceptional customer relationships, presentation of the retail space, placing orders, pricing, inventory, selling, packing and shipping.
• Manage all wholesale and consignment inventory through the POS system.
• Supervise the handling of artwork and ensure every care is taken regarding safety and security, including the training of staff on the proper handling and storage of art.
• Represent the Folk School at external art events, media conferences, and craft fairs to engage and recruit new students, instructors and partnerships.
• Work collaboratively with staff and Resident Artists to engage craftpersons that are aligned with the Folk School’s education model.
• Manage and lead the Craft Shop staff with a focus on excellent customer service when encountering students, instructors, and visitors.
• Increase the Folk School’s local, regional, and national impact.
• Maintain primary responsibility for the development and oversite of the Craft Shop’s operating and capital budgets.
• Work closely with staff to produce annual events related to educational experiences.
• Work collaboratively across the organization to support directors and managers in their information needs/requests.
• Manage sales and promotion of the Brasstown Carvers.
• Develop and manage online Craft Shop artist submissions and jury process.
• Work closely with the Craft Shop staff to achieve strategic plan goals.
• Collaborate with Olive’s Porch staff and the Community Programs Manager to manage vendors and product applicable to both retail venues.
Education and Experience Requirements• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in an art related program preferred, but not required.
• Specific focus on making, arts/gallery management, programming, and craft history are a plus.
• Related education and work experience in the arts, sales or management.
• Three to five years of previous sales or customer directed experience is preferred.
• Solid understanding of the Folk School concept and a desire to engage and promote this educational model.
• Solid understanding of traditional and contemporary craft.
• Demonstrated proficiency in tracking, evaluating, and acting on sales and marketing data.
• Solid understanding of marketing strategies.
• Proficient in POS systems, Excel and Word.
Position Skills / Aptitudes• A resourceful problem-solver who can meet deadlines and make clear decisions.
• Ability to effectively manage a varied workload, plan and manage a budget, and successfully organize long-term planning and projects.
• Ability to develop and maintain community relationships.
• Ability to learn new software programs as needed.
• Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and listening.
• Ability to prioritize projects.
Physical DemandsThis position requires limited travel and the ability to drive a car. A current driver’s license is required. The position requires that the employee be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The work of this position frequently requires the use of hands to handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects or boxes, up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will likely need to sit and to work at a computer. Must be able to work weekends and holidays, as needed. This position requires fluency in English.
ApplicationsPlease submit the following materials by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by USPS to:
Human ResourcesJohn C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
1. Cover Letter that expresses your desire to work at the Folk School and reasons for interest in the position.
2. Resume detailing education and work experience.
3. Contact Information for three professional references.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
At the Folk School, the health and safety of our team is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to pass the pre-employment requirements. The Folk School complies with all federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.